Unlimited family plan

clbowens

I just saw this on the linked page:

"To improve data experience for the majority of users, throughput may be limited, varied or reduced on the network. Streaming video speeds will be limited to 600Kbps at all times, which may impact quality."

No full HD Netfix for you!

• Like 1

"To improve data experience for the majority of users, throughput may be limited, varied or reduced on the network. Streaming video speeds will be limited to 600Kbps at all times, which may impact quality."

I'm sure that depends on site load, etc.

I'm streaming Netflix in HD just fine right now.

600Kbps down from 1mbps on earlier plans. 

I'm sure that depends on site load, etc.

I'm streaming Netflix in HD just fine right now.

600Kbps down from 1mbps on earlier plans. 

Didn't the old plans say that video streaming MAY be limited? This says it will be 600kbps at ALL times.

You're right. I also though Sprint said recently it wasn't going to throttle at all.

Technically speaking, they're not throttling. They're just selling unlimited data at 600kbps speeds for video. They've set a data speed limit upfront.

This is no different than buying Uverse or Time Warner Cable internet service based on speeds.

Erm, by definition that is exactly throttling, setting or limiting the speed or amount of something that would otherwise be unconstrained.

You can be throttled (or capped), by either the amount of total bandwidth used, or by a particular speed limit.

Uverse and cable are likewise throttled to the speed tier you pay for, that is how they can magically upgrade your speed without changing out hardware and/or replacing the lines into your house.

Of course the one of difference between mobile and land lines, is that land lines are typically fix bandwidth, whereas mobile is highly variable.

• Like 1

Technically speaking, they're not throttling. They're just selling unlimited data at 600kbps speeds for video. They've set a data speed limit upfront.

This is no different than buying Uverse or Time Warner Cable internet service based on speeds.

I get the why of the speed cap - if you're parked on a tower sucking down HD video, you're degrading the network experience for everyone else. It makes tremendous sense from an infrastructure and customer experience perspective.

This will get filleted by the tech press ePeen crowd, though... even though streaming video should almost always be offloaded to WiFi. The cognitive dissonance will be strong.

That said, if I can still pull up PBS Kids and stream Thomas to avert a major meltdown, I'm good. :)

• Like 5

Is this the big news sprint tweeted about you think. If so it is a snooze fest.

Um I was under the impression it would ha e the #allin tag, as well as it would be released on the 30th, which is tomorrow, so no it isn't by my books.
  • Like 1

It'll be interesting how this holds up to the FCC's net neutrality rules, though I am in favor of a cap for video applications. I think it could be a little better than 600kbps

Edited by Joski1624
  • Like 1

Did anyone notice that all Sprint plans now say "streaming video speeds limited to 3g" ?

ALL of them say it now, not just the 'All-In' plan, even their normal Unlimited plan, and their Family Share plan..I don't remember them saying that a few weeks ago..

Did anyone notice that all Sprint plans now say "streaming video speeds limited to 3g" ?

ALL of them say it now, not just the 'All-In' plan, even their normal Unlimited plan, and their Family Share plan..I don't remember them saying that a few weeks ago..

Always been like that. But according to Marceo Claure, they are removing all video throttles (except in cases of tower congestion).

pretty sure only the old 'my way' plans had it, pretty sure family share and the 'new' $60 unlimited weren't streaming video at 3g speeds.

I can say with certainty that they were. I used that information yesterday to file a net neutrality complaint with the FCC. The FCC told me they will serve Sprint with a 30 day notice (on 1 July) to respond to the allegations. But given the news yesterday evening, no response needed now :-D

"Video speeds at 3G" is so vague, what are they even trying to say? 3G CDMA maxes out at 3.1 Mbps. That's plenty fine for HD Netflix and YouTube (I know because I have 3 Mbps DSL from Verizon and am able to do both those things!)

• Like 1

"Video speeds at 3G" is so vague, what are they even trying to say? 3G CDMA maxes out at 3.1 Mbps. That's plenty fine for HD Netflix and YouTube (I know because I have 3 Mbps DSL from Verizon and am able to do both those things!)

I think that is going to be removed - at least on the new All-in plan it was announced the 600K streaming cap was being dropped so hopefully that will apply to this plan as well.

That is the same speed number I've been suggesting Sprint could use it at, being 3mbps is a good limit for audio/video.