iPhone 6S/6S Plus User Thread

MacinJosh

Sprint just acknowledged the LTE B41 problems with a bulk text message:

SprintFreeMsg: Your iPhone may be having data connection issues w/ the recent software update. We're working quickly to fix. We apologize for the inconvenience.

• Like 2

I guess it's true, everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame...

40ba06a59843dc7a8463eb10056235fb.jpg

I actually had a "Tech Proj/Prog Manager I, Case Management/Business Service Assurance" person from Sprint contact me. We discussed my findings at length, and he submitted a ticket. He even emailed the ticket to me. Then a network tech called me and we discussed the symptoms again, asking me specifically where the problem is occurring. They thanked me for my help...as well as being a customer of course, and promised to call me again for a follow up. All because of my "famous" Reddit post. Hoping for a carrier update soon!

• Like 4

Sprint just acknowledged the LTE B41 problems with a bulk text message:

I didn't get one of those :( Lol. Maybe it's because I have a 6 and not a 6s? I haven't been following the issue very closely since I haven't been having any problems.

-Anthony

Got an email from the Sprint tech...

Jason,

I saw that this morning on Engadget.com. We applied an update to our network elements for that area, then tested the update with Band 41 capable iPhones running 9.3 and 9.3.1. The technicians confirmed that Band 41 LTE is working correctly now on all towers that it is available on. Please let me know if you still experience any issue. Thank you.

Haven't had time to test, will do tonight.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed their phones switch to band 25 while idle on data, or connected to wifi in a strong B41 area? as soon as turning wifi off or using any date the phone quick switches to B41.

Strange as B41 is a much stronger single then B25 for me at home where I've noticed this.

I installed 9.3.1 last night. Clear B41 seems to work again!

Sprint was very responsive and helpful. Once the right people found out about the problem, they took care of business. Quite frankly, I'm pleasantly surprised.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just threw my hat in the ring for WWDC. Here's hoping I can break iPhone 7 news from the keynote!

Edit: more likely than not, it'll just be 4 OS updates & hardware refreshes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Has anyone had an issue with the phone randomly unlocking?  I believe that my phone has unlocked in my back pocket a few times over the past week to 10 days.  Luckily, the worst this that has happened is butt dialing my wife on two occasions.

Now, it may be myself not locking the phone, which has happened in the past, but to have it that many times is starting to make me wonder if there is something going on with the last iOS update... 

Has anyone had an issue with the phone randomly unlocking? I believe that my phone has unlocked in my back pocket a few times over the past week to 10 days. Luckily, the worst this that has happened is butt dialing my wife on two occasions.

Now, it may be myself not locking the phone, which has happened in the past, but to have it that many times is starting to make me wonder if there is something going on with the last iOS update...

I feel like it's probably you forgetting to lock your phone...or the inside of your pocket looks a hell of a lot like your finger...????

I feel like it's probably you forgetting to lock your phone...or the inside of your pocket looks a hell of a lot like your finger...????

Google's activation lock is worse. I locked myself out of the Note 5 for three days because of bad fingerprint recognition and not remembering the pass code. Part of it was stupidity on my part but part of it was the dumb three day requirement Google instituted in their infinite wisdom.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SRLTE.  This topic has come up in only one of the almost 500,000 posts in The Forums.  And that post was not even iPhone related.  I am surprised.  But I believe that I have discovered why all Sprint iPhone LTE variants are not affected by e/CSFB problems.  We know they do not use e/CSFB.  However, they also do not use SVLTE -- no simultaneous CDMA1X voice and LTE data -- which is not affected by e/CSFB problems.  Instead, all Sprint iPhone variants appear to use SRLTE.

The SRLTE basic operation seems to be that a dual Rx, single Tx antenna design -- as we expect in single radio path handsets -- can use the Tx antenna to register with the LTE network, then use the Tx antenna again to register with the CDMA1X network.  At that point, the handset can use one Rx antenna to monitor the LTE network and the other Rx antenna to monitor the CDMA1X network simultaneously.  The single Tx antenna remains in LTE priority, switching to CDMA1X operation only periodically to reregister with the network.  Paging messages on the downlink to the handset will go out to both Rx antennas.  If the paging message is for a CDMA1X voice call, the single Tx antenna gets switched from LTE priority to CDMA1X operation.  The handset answers the CDMA1X paging message and apparently disregards the LTE paging message.

While this SRLTE paging message redundancy may work well for the handset, it seems not favorable to the networks, since it doubles combined paging channel traffic on the networks.

I do wonder, also, if a temporary switch from e/CSFB to SRLTE mode on certain Android handsets could explain the SignalCheck Pro "bug" in which CDMA1X and LTE signal metrics get displayed simultaneously -- usually in low LTE signal conditions.  That simultaneous monitoring of both networks supposedly was not possible on e/CSFB single radio path handsets.  Maybe SRLTE solves the mystery

AJ 

• Like 14

Here is the SRLTE patent, which is assigned to Apple.

Abstract

Methods, apparatuses and computer readable media are described that configure wireless circuitry of a wireless communication device. The wireless communication device establishes a connection to a first wireless network using first and second receiving signaling chains. In response to detecting a radio frequency tune-away event, the wireless communication device reconfigures only one of the radio frequency signaling chains to receive signals from a second wireless network when a set of receive signal conditions for the second wireless network is satisfied. The wireless communication device reconfigures both of the radio frequency signaling chains to the second wireless network when the set of receive signal conditions is not satisfied.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20140086209

And if some Android handsets also use SRLTE mode temporarily, then we may shift SRLTE discussion to its own thread.

AJ

• Like 3

Here is the SRLTE patent, which is assigned to Apple.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20140086209

And if some Android handsets also use SRLTE mode temporarily, then we may shift SRLTE discussion to its own thread.

AJ

Could this explain (IME/anecdotal) reduced speeds while experiencing dual-LTE/1x on android even in a decent signal environment?

Could this explain (IME/anecdotal) reduced speeds while experiencing dual-LTE/1x on android even in a decent signal environment?

Reduced data speeds?  I do not know and have not noticed.  But reduced SMS speeds?  Yes.  That, I have noticed.  Because I believe SMS in that situation gets sent over CDMA1X, not LTE.

AJ

• Like 2

SRLTE. This topic has come up in only one of the almost 500,000 posts in The Forums. And that post was not even iPhone related. I am surprised. But I believe that I have discovered why all Sprint iPhone LTE variants are not affected by e/CSFB problems. We know they do not use e/CSFB. However, they also do not use SVLTE -- no simultaneous CDMA1X voice and LTE data -- which is not affected by e/CSFB problems. Instead, all Sprint iPhone variants appear to use SRLTE.

The SRLTE basic operation seems to be that a dual Rx, single Tx antenna design -- as we expect in single radio path handsets -- can use the Tx antenna to register with the LTE network, then use the Tx antenna again to register with the CDMA1X network. At that point, the handset can use one Rx antenna to monitor the LTE network and the other Rx antenna to monitor the CDMA1X network simultaneously. The single Tx antenna remains in LTE priority, switching to CDMA1X operation only periodically to reregister with the network. Paging messages on the downlink to the handset will go out to both Rx antennas. If the paging message is for a CDMA1X voice call, the single Tx antenna gets switched from LTE priority to CDMA1X operation. The handset answers the CDMA1X paging message and apparently disregards the LTE paging message.

While this SRLTE paging message redundancy may work well for the handset, it seems not favorable to the networks, since it doubles combined paging channel traffic on the networks.

I do wonder, also, if a temporary switch from e/CSFB to SRLTE mode on certain Android handsets could explain the SignalCheck Pro "bug" in which CDMA1X and LTE signal metrics get displayed simultaneously -- usually in low LTE signal conditions. That simultaneous monitoring of both networks supposedly was not possible on e/CSFB single radio path handsets. Maybe SRLTE solves the mystery

AJ

A long time mystery solved!!!

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Reduced data speeds? I do not know and have not noticed. But reduced SMS speeds? Yes. That, I have noticed. Because I believe SMS in that situation gets sent over CDMA1X, not LTE.

AJ

This. I have noticed this on my galaxy note 5. When I had a Nexus 5, I never had the simultaneous 1x & LTE monitoring feature and texts send quickly. Texts do send slower in the areas where my Note 5 is monitoring both networks, however.

My Verizon Note 5 has something similar going on when I have Advanced Calling off.

c3d9933bd2d6a58630f8ee4e0651fa65.jpg

With Advanced Calling on it shows single path like Sprint eCSFB handsets.

1429b5f5cd4c26959b09a3445cedce36.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone get their iPhone unlocked recently for International use? I really don't want to wipe and restore my iPhone through iTunes if I don't have to.

Anyone get their iPhone unlocked recently for International use? I really don't want to wipe and restore my iPhone through iTunes if I don't have to.

Recently assisted a customer with doing a domestic unlock for her iPhone 6, and it was a quick process. No resetting was necessary. I saw her Sprint iPhone pick up T-Mobile LTE after we got off the phone with Sprint International.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Recently assisted a customer with doing a domestic unlock for her iPhone 6, and it was a quick process. No resetting was necessary. I saw her Sprint iPhone pick up T-Mobile LTE after we got off the phone with Sprint International.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Ok thanks, I did an international unlock so hopefully it will work without the reset. I'm going to try the domestic unlock on my wife's phone (mine is leased).

• Like 1

So here's a question. How can I verify that my phone is unlocked without having to do the iTunes wipe and restore?

If you put in an international SIM it will wipe out all voicemails stored on the phone except the ones that are stored on the voicemail system directly. But you should be able to stick an international SIM card in and it should start searching for service.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

If you put in an international SIM it will wipe out all voicemails stored on the phone except the ones that are stored on the voicemail system directly. But you should be able to stick an international SIM card in and it should start searching for service.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

Yeah unfortunately I'm still in the US so I don't have an international SIM to test.