Sprint Roaming+ - Coverage Map Update

clbowens

International is a separate situation. Sprint does not compete against Vodafone, Telefonica, etc. See the difference?

AJ

I do see the difference, however the general reason for offering roaming is the same. To be able to use your mobile in an area that does not have native coverage.

The only point I'm trying to make is they have no option available for domestic over the base roaming bucket. I do not have the option of giving them more money, at any $ per MB rate.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I do see the difference, however the general reason for offering roaming is the same. To be able to use your mobile in an area that does not have native coverage.

The only point I'm trying to make is they have no option available for domestic over the base roaming bucket. I do not have the option of giving them more money, at any $ per MB rate.

Why should they put a per MB price on it? They would be getting complains about $300 per GB. No one in there right mind will want to pay those rates. But sprint is suppose to offer them? It is not cheap to roam as AJ said.

Why should they put a per MB price on it? They would be getting complains about $300 per GB. No one in there right mind will want to pay those rates. But sprint is suppose to offer them? It is not cheap to roam as AJ said.

I don't know where you're getting $300/GB. I meant they don't have any option to pay for more roaming data, at any price point.

I don't know where you're getting $300/GB. I meant they don't have any option to pay for more roaming data, at any price point.

The thing is as it stands, the same roaming data allotment can be used to roam on Verizon since there's no separate allotment for LTE and 3G roaming on partner networks vs non partner networks.

Thus if they did have roaming data buckets available then they'll have to account for the fact some people may use it for Verizon roaming who charges an arm, a leg, firstborn, grandchildren, bank information, and organ donations (no seriously they charge sprint $200+ per gb in areas that lack other roaming partners).

If they could separate roaming allotment from its CCA RRPP partners and non partnered networks then I definitely would like there to be an option available to purchase. Price it high enough to discourage permanent roaming but just right so those that need it will get it.

I'm with travismheim on this one.  I would like to see Sprint offer additional LTE Roaming data buckets for their cost plus markup.  Maybe even 50% markup.  And we aren't talking about Verizon roaming.  Just the additional roaming add on buckets for their existing LTE roaming partners.  If it has to be $30/GB, then so be it.  But I think it's a reasonable thing for consumers to want.  Sprint can decide for themselves if it's worth it.  I think it would be.

• Like 7

I'm with travismheim on this one.  I would like to see Sprint offer additional LTE Roaming data buckets for their cost plus markup.

To be clear, I do not think that I or anyone has disagreed with that premise.  The problem is travismheim did not make that premise apparent from the outset.

Too often, users seem to want Sprint plans with conservative prices but with liberal roaming agreements and liberal roaming allotments.  Robert, as you well know and have spoken about from your industry, that is not possible.  Pick one or two -- but not all.

Personally, I want liberal roaming agreements.  Anywhere in the US that has CDMA2000 coverage, I want it in the Sprint PRL.  If I find myself there with nothing more than CDMA1X, that is better than nothing at all -- as often can be found on T-Mobile, sometimes on AT&T.

As Tim notes, that makes roaming costs highly variable.  It may not allow for simple roaming data allotments a la carte.  I would like to buy roaming data as needed -- it makes sense.  However, that may not be feasible.

Sprint is becoming great on network, but if users need a lot of roaming off the Sprint network, they may be better suited to VZW, AT&T, or even T-Mobile.  It pains me to say it, yet I see no future for all four national networks.  Something has got to give.  It could contract down to three, maybe two infrastructure networks.  If so, Sprint will be an/the odd man out.

AJ

The thing is as it stands, the same roaming data allotment can be used to roam on Verizon since there's no separate allotment for LTE and 3G roaming on partner networks vs non partner networks.

Thus if they did have roaming data buckets available then they'll have to account for the fact some people may use it for Verizon roaming who charges an arm, a leg, firstborn, grandchildren, bank information, and organ donations (no seriously they charge sprint $200+ per gb in areas that lack other roaming partners).

If they could separate roaming allotment from its CCA RRPP partners and non partnered networks then I definitely would like there to be an option available to purchase. Price it high enough to discourage permanent roaming but just right so those that need it will get it.

Roaming on Verizon is almost always restricted to 1x data for non corporate accounts. I would think they could have a separate bucket set up for LTE roaming on the CCA networks. As Sprint opens more areas for LTE roaming, I can see the demand for additional roaming data increasing.

thanks to the huxley tower being a GMO and providing terrible service to huxley i was able to get connected to USCC LTE today :) got connected to both B12 and B5 on my Flex 2. sorry no SCP screen shots as it was doing the 1x/LTE bug and if i would have airplane mode i would have lost LTE.

Screenshot_2015-12-13-09-29-50.png

Screenshot_2015-12-13-09-30-01.png

Screenshot_2015-12-13-09-30-07.png

Screenshot_2015-12-13-09-31-52.png

• Like 10

thanks to the huxley tower being a GMO and providing terrible service to huxley i was able to get connected to USCC LTE today :) got connected to both B12 and B5 on my Flex 2. sorry no SCP screen shots as it was doing the 1x/LTE bug and if i would have airplane mode i would have lost LTE.

Interesting, there's no roaming indicator. I thought USCC counted against your roaming bucket?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 1

Interesting, there's no roaming indicator. I thought USCC counted against your roaming bucket?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Probably a glitch considering it's just been released. I don't think US cellular will be pseudo native.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Probably a glitch considering it's just been released. I don't think US cellular will be pseudo native.

"LTE" may override the "R" on the data icon. 

forgot the flex 2 could pickup that. may have to pick one up from sprint  @10/mo 

"LTE" may override the "R" on the data icon.

I know this is all new and speculation at this point, but if this is the case I could see this being a big issue for sprint. The general user won't know the difference between native coverage and LTE roaming, will use the entire roaming allotment and then wonder why their Sprint LTE connection is no longer working...

• Like 3

I know this is all new and speculation at this point, but if this is the case I could see this being a big issue for sprint. The general user won't know the difference between native coverage and LTE roaming, will use the entire roaming allotment and then wonder why their Sprint LTE connection is no longer working...

Something like this? 

b9Gp6vv.jpg

(USCC user roaming onto Sprint LTE in Minneapolis)

• Like 2

This actually happened to my sister. She had no indication that she was roaming, and blew through her roaming data over the weekend. Hopefully this will be fixed, her phone is set to voice only for roaming and still used roaming data unknowingly. Her phone doesn't even register that she used any roaming data at all.

On 199 from Cali to Oregon, I have yet to see evdo or lte roaming. I get evdo roaming in other parts of the state but not along 199. Whats the best way to report this? I am using the Galaxy Note 5. I had LTE roaming enabled.

On 199 from Cali to Oregon, I have yet to see evdo or lte roaming. I get evdo roaming in other parts of the state but not along 199. Whats the best way to report this? I am using the Galaxy Note 5. I had LTE roaming enabled.

Does that area has USCC 3G evdo or lte coverage?

You can't get something if its not there.

• Like 1

Nothing to report.  Sprint doesn't say there is USCC 3G or LTE roaming coverage along US 199.  See their map.

gallery_1_23_19391.png

There are some blotches of LTE Roaming as you get closer to Grants Pass.  But this may be bleed over from Grants Pass.  Sprint mostly shows patchy 1x roaming along US 199 between Crescent City and Grants Pass.

Furthermore, even USCC doesn't show any LTE along the route either on their coverage maps.  I have driven 199 many times in my life and know it well.  The highway stays pretty deep from surrounding terrain, along the river in a canyon bottom.  The USCC coverage maps are actually showing coverage above the highway, over the canyon rim and up on the hills and mountains.  USCC coverage only barely crosses the highway in a few high points.  Zoom in closely on the USCC coverage map and you will see what I mean.  USCC doesn't provide very good coverage along this route.

gallery_1_23_214925.png

I am mainly talking about the Oregon side. From Grants Pass to a little after Cave Junction. I know they have LTE there as I was on US Cellular just under 2 years go. I have family on the coast and take 199 often. I know where US. Cellular has LTE and EVDO along that road. Neither of which I have been ever able to connect to. However, south, north and east of Grants Pass I have gotten EVDO roaming.

Both of your maps only show half of US199.

Edit: I see how my wording was confusing and I am sorry for that.

Edited by Lioncat55

So I have a question about roaming plus. I'm out visiting family in Smith Center Kansas. I know this is a lte romaing + area that has nextech. What is weird is my nexus 6 and my sisters nexus 5x are only using evdo while my mother's iPhone 6 plus has extended LTE. Does anyone here know why that is and is there a fix?

So I have a question about roaming plus. I'm out visiting family in Smith Center Kansas. I know this is a lte romaing + area that has nextech. What is weird is my nexus 6 and my sisters nexus 5x are only using evdo while my mother's iPhone 6 plus has extended LTE. Does anyone here know why that is and is there a fix?

I guess you've confirmed what we've thought to be that case, and that is that unlocked devices won't support LTE roaming. Not surprising really.

I guess you've confirmed what we've thought to be that case, and that is that unlocked devices won't support LTE roaming. Not surprising really.

That would be very disappointing. Would it have anything to do with band 12? I checked and right now its disabled on my phone.

That would be very disappointing. Would it have anything to do with band 12? I checked and right now its disabled on my phone.

It could be. Don't know if enabling it would make a difference, but you could try.

This LTE Roaming thing is a work in progress. Not everyone's phone is picking it up currently and it appears to be doing so at random for now. Or maybe there is a pattern that we haven't picked up on as of yet.

Either way, we should give them some time to iron the kinks out.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk